Thursday, January 19, 2012

First MOP Team Assessment

A couple weeks ago I started a program in my physics classes called MO Physics for students who want to move faster than the class pace. Today I assessed the first MOP team to move ahead of their class.

The MO B.A. Physics team pictured here did a marvelous job. They signed up on my online form to come in at lunchtime today to demonstrate mastery of the physics skill Acceleration.

When they came in, I told them with a genuine smile on my face, "My job is to make you nervous. You'd better be certain of what you say to me. You might be saying the most profound thing imaginable, but you won't see any sign of it on my poker face. And if you're uncertain of something, you won't find the answer in my face. In fact, I may give you a blank stare that makes you think you're saying something stupid. It won't be easy, but if you can get past me, you can do this for anybody." Since we have an excellent rapport, they know the friendly, supporting spirit in which these true-but-not-threatening remarks were given. I also told them the worst possible thing that could happen is that I would ask them to come in again to elaborate on something that was lacking the first time.

Part of the MO Physics program is for the team to determine how they will demonstrate mastery of a skill to their teacher in such a way that it would be apparent that each individual had mastered the material. I was curious to see how they would do it. The team of four had prepared four white boards demonstrating their mastery of each of the specific skills listed in my lesson plan, using drawn images, equations, and text. They presented individually and together, acted out a demonstration of deceleration together, and answered all of my impromptu questions to my complete satisfaction.

I have enjoyed watching the team work together in class. Rarely have I seen such diligence and focus. I was eager to see if they could pull off a good demonstration of mastery, and they did! In fact, I'm convinced they comprehend the material better than if they had studied to pass my test on it (which they are exempt from now).

I can say the performance of this team has been the highlight of my teaching career so far, and I am delighted with their success today. May they be the first of many yet to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment