Monday, April 2, 2012

It Wasn't Very Long Ago

For my children on their coming of age

It wasn't very long ago I used to set you in my lap
and read you picture books.

It wasn't very long ago you needed me to hold your hand
to take you to new places.

I wasn't very long ago you needed me to teach you how
to understand the world.

Now look at you.
Now look at you!

A little bit of time went by and now
you stand here facing me, a young adult!

I'm not sure I'm ready.

You're not sure you're ready.

But here we stand together side by side,
a single path behind us,
a double path before us.

Let us reminisce upon the single path
we trod together to this place.
And let us contemplate the double path
we've yet to take into uncertain futures.

May we tarry here a moment — a moment more.

May we tarry here a moment more.

For though we hand-in-hand resume our walk from here,
the windings of our separate paths must
draw and break our grasp.

And from afar I'll watch you tread alone
the way to your success.

And I'll recall the time,
and I'll recall the place,
where our one path became two.

And I'll feel the sadness,
and I'll feel the happiness,
of my love for you.

But I'll be satisfied I knew you when you were a child,
and I'll be proud to know you as adult,
off on your own.

No comments:

Post a Comment